Monday, October 3, 2011

App Gone Wild!

It is highly important that teachers and parents not only read reviews for an app but actually play the app to get a good feel about the apps intent and lesson that it teaches.


As I was getting ready for work this morning, I overheard my 6 year old and 2 year old on my iPad gasping as the app said the S word ( thank goodness it wasn’t the profanity word but it was just as bad in my eyes since I don’t allow that word). I heard the character talking and the word STUPID was said loudly and with emphasis. My mouth dropped and I immediately ran over to see what crazy app they were on and I couldn’t believe it was the The Don and Flip app which is suppose to teach about vitamins.


I know this app is FREE but come on, I’m sure there are other words that could be used. I think that word is an inappropriate word for children. Children these days listen to enough crazy vocabulary as it is and for this app to encourage language as such makes me extremely sad.


The last sentence on the iTunes page for this app is: Sure to please parents and kids. Well for me…that’s far from the truth. As a parent and an educator, I am totally disappointed!



Edit: after investigating the app further, I’ve learned that the word stupid comes from a conversation between two birds and one of them says the word incorrectly. The other bird corrects him by saying it slowly and with emphasis and then calling him stupid because he didn’t say it correctly. The rest of the app is ok but for me, this one will be deleted because I can’t condone apps with language as such and I can’t condone my children or children I teach to put down others because of what they don’t know.


Morally, just wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment