Thursday, November 10, 2011

What is HTML 5 and Why Should I know?

What is HTML?
HyperText Markup Language (HTML) is the predominant markup language for web pages. Developed by scientist Tim Berners-Lee in 1990, HTML is the "hidden" code that helps us communicate with others on the world wide web.



After finding several neat tips to edit my tech blog, I am completely interested in learning HTML. Now I took a few classes on it many years ago but you know the saying, "If you don't use it, you'll loose it". I remember some of the very basic components but with HTML 5, there are so many aspects that I'd like to learn. This has inspired me to search for awesome sites to guide those of you who'd like to know HTML 5 as well.

This post (paragrph above) was actually drafted on yesterday and it is so ironic that when I got home, I opened up an email from a colleague entitled "USA TODAY: Adobe kills Flash on mobile devices". How crazy is that I thought to myself. Not because Adobe was killing Flash on mobile devices (something Steve Jobs so wanted) but that I had a strong urge to hit me yesterday to learn HTML. Back in early July of this year, that same colleague asked me why I'd design my professional photography site in Flash. My response was simply cause I liked the look of how flash worked. But really, I hated the fact that I couldn't show my site on my mobile devices (my iPad, iPhone and iPod). If I knew HTML, this wouldn't be an issue and I'd be ready to roll with the "big dogs" who now work with HTML 5.

Why Should I know?
To be able to design my own web page(s) and not have to pay someone to do so or to have a side business in web page design. So this post if directed to those of you who may want to design your own site and need direction on how to actually accomplish this goal. The following are some resources I searched for to get me started and hopefully it will help you as well.


W3Schools - http://www.w3schools.com/
You can go at your own pace. And it's free, free, free! You take your time, learn a language from their tutorials for free, and they get their money if you decide you want to get an actual certification in a language. You pay them about $60, and take 60 question exam in 60 minutes. (No essay questions!) If you pass, they send you your certification and you can put it on your resume.(per hubpages)

HTML You Tube Videos | HTML Wiki

Blogger Post - 20 Things

4 kids - GooDellGroup and IPL-Kids Web
I found these two be very helpful. It's targeted to teaching kids HTML. Maybe you have students who would like to know HTML or maybe you need a watered-down version to get started. 

Pay Lessons - 4 Free Lessons

When you get a handle on HTML and want advanced features, take a closer look at CSS and PHP., check out HTML.net and jQuery.

No comments:

Post a Comment